A Lowestoft smack built in 1921, this 77' (23m) historic fishing vessel has been meticulously restored to her original sailing appearance.
|Having been built on spec by John Chambers of Lowestoft, she was bought by a local consortium to replace their 1885 smack that had been condemned, following a collision with a steamer in fog.|
|Sold to Bjorn Stensland of Norway and converted to a motor coaster.|
|Sold to John Wylson who sailed her back to Lowestoft in 1972, whereupon he went into partnership with Mark Trevitt to restore her back to sail.|
|After replacing much of the framing, the partners formed the Excelsior Trust to complete her reconstruction and operate her as a sail training ship. The trust was formally incorporated on 6th February 1983.|
Restoration completed back to 'as built' condition on deck. Fitted out to modern standards down below (where all evidence of her fishing fit-out had been removed when she was converted to a coaster).
|Commissioned by HRH the Princess Royal as a sail training ship.|
|Circumnavigated most of Britain on a proving voyage. Started sail training and entered her first Cutty Sark Tall Ships Race under Skipper, Mick Hart. Was the subject of a TV programme for the first time in Anglia TV's "Sailaway" series.|
|Trawled again under skipper Stuart White. The process of recreating the gear and the traditional clothing for the crew was the subject of a 55 minute programme by Channel 4 in their series: "The Real History Show". It was broadcast in 2000 under the title "Fish and Ships".|
|Rated by the National Historic Ship Committee as one of the nation's 60 most important historic vessels that now form the National Core Collection.|
|Chartered by the Cirdan Sailing Trust to help provide sail training for disadvantaged young people.|
|All charters once again operated exclusively by the Excelsior Trust.|